Sunday, February 9, 2014

M-Aspect Stiletto - work in progress



Hey all!



So, the first ever full 3D car project of mine! I named it M-Aspect Stiletto due to the pointy, daggerish shape. The car has been under construction for 9 months when writing this and actually it is really close to finish. I will share some of the material parameters used once finished.



For many years I've wanted to create a full 3D model of a car I designed myself. The applications I've used before (Solidworks, Catia) didin't really suit to modeling such complex shapes a car has and therefore it was time to learn another program - the 3D Studio Max, it would be perfect for the job. The inbuilt mental ray rendering engine would be powerful tool to create photorealistic renders when the modeling part is finished. There was also a good amount of tutorials around the web to help getting started.




The basic shape is from a skecth from my skechbook. I drew a rear view of concept car back in 2012 and started designing the rest of the car around that. The blueprints are made with Photoshop and now, 9 months later, only the top view looks roughly alike the same in the model.




































At this point the things are starting to look rather good. The thing is, though, I got bored both to the rear and the front of the car. Especially the headlights needed a change to get the design rid of the Lamborghini look I wasn't after.












New front and rear are getting shape. I also went and took 360° HDR panorama from a park nearby and used it to create reflection and lighting map for the environment. 
















Getting there! A new environment of 54 images taken at local mall parking garage stiched together to create sharper reflections and more accurate lighting. There were only 3 different exposures in the HDRI - I suggest you take more. 6 exposures per picture and you get sharper shadows and more detail. I recommend a program called PTGui to stich the HDRs.
















Some testing with the camera map and environment/background switcher shaders. Useful info about those can be found from here Also notice the third version of the headlights, may these be final. Just for your information, no Photoshop or any other postprocessing has been used what so ever at this point. 

The leaves of the trees have moved just enough when taking the panorama that the whole HDRI is pretty much useless. Blurry leaves can be clearly seen from the reflections.











Back in the parking garage. This is propably the last WIP image of the Stiletto I will show you. Quite a bit of tweaking with materials has been done since the last renders.




Stay tuned for the final renders! I will post them within a week I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment