Thursday, May 8, 2014

Something to show already

Hey! The new car is slowly gaining progress. A bit faster than I expexted actually, it's amazing how much faster things start to roll when you have a little experience from a previous project at your belt. The blueprints are set up and already I have modelled a part of the front of the car. I have kept the model rather simple and thus there are no chamfers or such. There is a Turbosmooth added to the wireframe.





Things I have found useful at this point if there happens to be beginner modelers reading this:
- Shortucts, shortcuts and shortcuts. Target weld can be found with Ctrl+Shift+W, and the movement of verticles can be limited to polygon edges only with Shift+X. Oh, and the polygon cut can be accessed with Alt+C. More useful shortcuts can be found here. You might also want to assign hotkeys of your own. I added weld to my shortcut list. Instructions here.
- Try to keep to polycount down. It will make fixing the model much easier once you notice you have a bunch of verticles int the wrong place.
- Use Smooth Groups. In my case I don't want to add chamfers just yet but I want to keep sharp edges around headlights and fenders. I changed the smoothgroup of the sharp edged polys and added checkmark in Turbosmooth menu "Separate->Smooth Groups".





No comments:

Post a Comment