Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Chamfering - done

Well, almost done at least! I must say, even it took more than a week to smoothen the edges of surfaces, it all went better than expected. Sure the experience from working with Stiletto helped a lot. 



As you can see from the wires there was quite a bit geometry to add.

Here is some stuff I learned within the past week:

1) It's better to avoid triangles as much as possible. They don't mess up the mesh at first but after adding TurboSmooth the weird corners and bulges start to appear.
2) Using splines to make smooth surfaces might be a good idea to try. Like I've said earlier it took quite a bit of work to get the surfaces smooth and after chamfering I had those annoying wobbly reflections all over the place once again. I was able to fix this rather well by making a spline from the edges that run down the hood, deleting at least every other point of the spline and then, by using snaps, attaching all the verticles to that spline. Splines are much easier to make smoothly curved. I hope the picture below explains the idea.


3) Beforing chamfering the corners it's useful to add an Edit Poly -modifier to you modifier stack. This allow you to still make basic changes (moving vertexes) to your unchamfered model which has a lot less geometry and is thus easier to work with. 

In addition to chamfering the body I also modeled rims and tyres. There were many good tutorials but I followed this for the rims and this for the tires. I'm pretty happy with the rims. It took quite a bit of head scratching to find a design I was happy with. At first I drew different rims on paper and after that I made at least five different versions on Photoshop of the favorites. I had almost finished one rim type but, since it wasn't really pretty, I had to start all over again. The blueprints were made with Photoshop as well.



As you can see the materials and texturing still need work. I have made a little changes to the tyre after this render. It doesn't look like it's going to explode anymore like in the picture above.


Finally, a test render of how the thing looks like in blue. The material is a preset with small changes to the scale of the flakes. You can see there are some problems with the geometry in the trunk lid. The trunk looks a bit too soft and the highlight has an odd dark spot inside the register plate inset.







No comments:

Post a Comment